Without a doubt, there is definitely something that is therapeutic about changing the look and layout of your house. Simply by moving furniture around or some simple redecoration you can re-freshen your house. That said, it is not necessary to have to make expensive purchases to liven up your home, there are small things that you can do to freshen up your home without having to break the bank. In this article, we will help you by taking a look at some of the simple and effective ways that you can freshen up the fabrics in your home.
After a hard day, your sofa is the ultimate place to relax and unwind. If you have a fabric sofa then it is likely that at some point you will need to give it a deep clean. So, follow our quick and easy guide on how to make your sofa look brand new again.
- You will need to begin by identifying the fabric. If you are fortunate enough to have a sofa that is made a cotton or linen blend then you will be able to clean it using natural ingredients.
- Begin by grooming the sofa using a white, clean and dry towel/wash cloth to break up any dried-on stains and remove anything that is living in the nooks and crannies. If you prefer you could use a stiff brush instead of a towel/face cloth, but just remember to avoid using any coloured sponges or towels as these could dye the original colour of your sofa.
- The next step is the deep clean. Sprinkle the sofa with baking soda as this helps to breakdown any stains on the fabric as well as release any odours. Leave the baking soda to sit on the sofa for between 20 mins to one hour before using a brush attachment from your hoover to remove it.
- After this step, if you can still spot any stains that have not been removed then you will need to remove these stains using a cleaning solution and then dab and rub out these stains. (If you would like to create your own cleaning solution then keep reading on to discover how you could make your own solution at home.)
- Finally, allow the sofa time to dry.
Other options is to visit an Auckland upholstery company to redo your couch fabric. You would be amazed at how much a simple change in colour or design for your couch will change your whole lounge area.
One of the cheapest ways to change the appearance of your bedroom fabrics is by updating your pillows and pillow cases. Look out for prints or materials that jazz up your bedroom. Perhaps pick pillow cases that have a theme and that way you can decide on what theme you fancy using, depending on your mood. Alternatively, if you do not want to purchase new pillow cases then you could have a go at DIY pillow cases, e.g. hand paint some pillow cases that you already have.
The same applies for any bedroom furniture that you may have. If you are not in a position to replace it then simply revive it with paint or cover with a material that suits the theme of your room. As mentioned above, upholstery is a fast way to change furniture, and visiting a nearby bedroom furniture store may help you with choosing an updated design. Finally, add some finishing touches e.g. some books or a lamp etc.
It is worth considering hiring carpet cleaning services when it comes to a deep clean of all your carpets, as this will also ensure than any stains on your carpets are removed. When it comes to rugs, again send them for a professional clean too. Carpet cleaning in West Auckland, for example, can potentially offer a deal for multiple rooms and rugs, so this could be worth the extra money.
On the flip side, if you would prefer not get the professionals in, then you could have a go at creating your own cleaning solution at home.
What You Need:
- 250ml of warm water
- 1 tsp dishwashing liquid
- 1 tbsp. of white vinegar
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- a clean sponge
- a clean towel
- a spray bottle
How to Make the Spray:
- Begin by adding the dishwashing liquid, vinegar and warm water to the spray bottle. Make sure that you are over a sink and have the top of the bottle to hand and then add the baking soda to the bottle. Quickly screw on the top of the bottle.
- With the cleaning solution now ready, spray the stained area generously and gently dab and rub with the towel. You should be able to see the results straight away.
- Finally, use the towel to continue to dab and wipe so that any excess water is absorbed and the stain is removed.
Also keep in mind that hiring your own commercial carpet cleaning equipment can be a great way to enhance your freshly made cleaning solution to get that extra deep clean.
Other Fabrics in your Home
You cannot disagree that getting into a crisp and clean smelling bed when you have just put fresh sheets on is a wonderful feeling. However, that lovely scent does not last long, so rather than buying expensive linen sprays, you could create your own at home. Aside of it being more cost effective, a DIY linen spray can also be used to freshen up towels, clothes, pillows, curtains and the many other fabrics that you have in your home.
What You Need:
- 20 drops of your favourite essential oil (e.g., rose, sandalwood, lavender or jasmine)
- 1 ½ cups of distilled water
- 3 oz. of Unflavoured vodka
- Glass/plastic spray bottle
- A funnel
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cup.
How to Make the Spray:
- Begin by pouring the vodka into the measuring cup and adding the essential oil.
- Add the distilled water to the above and mix well.
- Using the funnel pour this mixture into the spray bottle.
- Place the lid on to your spray bottle, label the bottle and remember to shake the spray each time that you use it.
We’re sure that you will agree that you are now probably feeling more prepared to tackle and enjoy freshening up your home using the hints and tips that we have provide you in this article.